Ammembal Subba Rao Paj, a philanthropist, established the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, on 1 July 1906. The bank changed its name to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it incorporated.
In 1958, the Reserve Bank of India ordered Canara Bank to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank, in Hyderabad.
This bank had been established in 1870, and had converted to a limited company in 1925.
The Government of India nationalized Canara Bank, along with 13 other major commercial banks of
India, on 19 July 1969. In 1976, Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th
Canara bank has 21,500 branches with including branches that belong to its associate banks.
The service provide by this organization is internet banking, mobile banking and ATM services.